Rich Media Embeds

As previously mentioned, we’ve been working on adding support for embedding rich media. That feature is now available to all Pro users!

To get started, just paste the URL of the media you want to embed into your Write.as post. For example, a tweet URL would show the entire tweet, as shown in this post:

Try it out and let us know what you think! And let us know if anything looks a bit odd to you – we’re still polishing the design of embeds from every provider we support.

8 Likes

Now you can find a list of all providers we currently support here:

3 Likes

Interesting… there’s Are.na and even Instagram…

Have you guys thought about getting Snap.as photos included?

1 Like

Absolutely! We have some development tasks written up for this here: T618. It’ll just need some changes on the Snap.as end of things.

2 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to it.

So I’ve tried this out and it works really well when viewing posts on my site.

I did notice that it doesn’t render on well on a feed or feed reader though, like via read.write.as or via the Feedly app. All you get is the url. Maybe something that can be improved upon in the future.

I just wanna say thank you guys for including Bandcamp embed support… I suspect you already know why that’s important to me, but yeah… Y’all are good uns. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

This is great! Can someone help me out with centering embedded Tweets? The old method, described in this post obviously does not work anymore, if you just put the Link to the Tweet in the text. I am trying to come up with the right CSS styling to achieve this, but so far I was unsuccessful.

Also, the Youtube embed looks a bit wird, as the <iframe> tag is embedded in the <p> tag. Was that intentional?

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this, @jason! We’ll have a change deployed later today that will automatically fix the centering issue with tweets – so no need for any custom CSS on your end.

Can you share the link or a screenshot where the YouTube embed looks off? Right now, yes, the <iframe> will always get embedded within the <p> block – but we haven’t found that that causes too many problems. If it does, we’ll try to fix it!

Hey @matt, that’s great news :). I just reread my post, and I think I did not express myself properly; sorry about that. The YT embed does not look “visually” off. It surprised me when I looked into the HTML and saw that the iframe was embedded into the <p> tag. I wondered if this was done intentionally or some bug or accident.

Ah, got it! Yeah it’s intentional, and gave us the quickest path to implementation. But that could change in the future.

Hi Matt,

Is it possible for something like this to work with Racket?

We rely on Embedly for our rich embeds, and then we have to add support for certain providers. But it looks like they’re not officially supported right now.

If Racket uses the oEmbed standard, we might be able to support them in the future.

Thanks Matt

Are there any plans to add Vimeo as an embed option‽ I know Embedly supports Vimeo (WordPress & Tumblr use them) & I was surprised that it was not supported in WriteFreely. Is there a reason for this‽

Hey @darnell, Vimeo is supported now! Any Vimeo links you might’ve included in your posts should automatically turn into embeds now – no extra work needed.

1 Like

Yay! Thanks! Now I will definitely keep my Pro account! I did not want to have to keep using Youtube as I no longer upload there. Thanks @matt!

1 Like

Would it be possible to support Mastodon toot and PeerTube video embeds? They aren’t currently available.

I don’t know how we’d support that, unfortunately. Right now, we scan for naked URLs, and when we find a recognized provider (e.g. youtube.com), we go and retrieve the embed code.

Since those fediverse applications run on any domain, we can’t use this same method to automatically detect and embed their content. We’d need some more complex way of scanning each URL in a post and determining what application is behind it, so we can then fetch and use the correct embed code (if they even support the oEmbed standard, which I’m not sure about).

1 Like

@matt, couldn’t rich embeds for Mastodon be accomplished by implementing oembed? oembed API methods - Mastodon documentation

1 Like