Remark.as - privacy-first, portable comments

@matt That would be lovely … I look forward to seeing it. Thank you. Enjoy your studio! Grin.

2 Likes

Yesterday we released the very first bit of Remark.as functionality! Remark.as: Introducing Private Letters

Among others waiting for this feature, @christinerenner, this should fit your use case perfectly!

Please… no… Social share links are a necessity for ad tech-powered publications but they’re ugly and useless? (imo) Please give remark.as a try. I did yesterday (and got a response this morning!) and it felt stupidly natural.

1 Like

@matt Have you seen Cactus Comments?

I realise I’m a bit late to the game, but this should fit the bill with private, portable comments section - excellent piece of libre software.

This looks awesome. And from what I can see, free? Outside of Commento, which costs $100/year, the best I’ve seen is Utterances (or Giscus), both of which rely on GitHub — something I would like to stray away from that, given not everyone uses it.

1 Like

Okay, so first, disclaimer: I haven’t actually tried implementing it myself - I just know the folks that created it, and seen it implemented on a couple of pages. Yes it’s free, they are generously offering their cactus.chat server as host for early adopters, I don’t think they have secured long term funding for that server though - so if you have the capacity to self-host, that’s probably what you wanna go for in the long term. But yeah, from the Quick Start guide it seems very easy. I’d say give it a try?

Just wanted to update everyone – a very early, very experimental Remark.as has launched today!

4 Likes

Hey, @matt, there’s a couple people that are trying to access the “Discuss…” link in my signature that are not Pro users, and they are getting a 404 page - any chance it could be a page letting people know what is happening (I simply told them (via e-mail) that they must be Pro users for the time being).

Thanx :slight_smile:

How do I change which of my blogs is the primary one?

1 Like

here’s a screenshot of what people are getting (myself included when I click on my own “Discuss…” link -

I checked out a few discuss links and the only ones working have been the ones from blogs with a custom URL. Is this feature not yet working with write.as or writeas.com domains?

Same request. Also: looks like because my primary (first?) blog was set to private I could not post comments.

What a huge milestone, I can imagine how hard you’ve been working behind-the-scenes on this, Matt, and I wanted to say congratulations. I’m hoping that some day (soon? :upside_down_face:) both Write.As and non-Write.As readers of my blog are able to make comments too. Thanks again for your continued work and passion.

1 Like

I keep getting that as well. Not sure why this is happening? Maybe @matt can advise?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! @tobenschmidt is right – it seems the links are only working for custom domains (e.g. in @tmo’s URL, the write.as/ part shouldn’t be included). I’ll get a fix out shortly.

As for the primary blog issue, I’ll see if I can put something together that lets you comment as a non-primary profile. This was going to come eventually, but I haven’t thought it all the way through yet. If I can’t put something together quickly, it might just be better to hold off on using Remark.as for now, unfortunately.

Also, I’ll be fixing the Cafe loading issues – I see it’s extremely slow right now.

1 Like

Cheers, Matt. Thanks for addressing the URL 404 issue swiftly.

I thought the Cafe loading issue was just on my end. Hopefully, both get sorted soon.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Deleting primary blog

I was able to reply to a couple blogs including your Protohistory post yesterday but today I find I can’t reply to anything (including the protohistory thread):

{"code":403,"error_msg":"You can't reply from this collection."}

Let me know how I can help get this sorted.

Thanks!
Ray

Thanks for mentioning this, Ray. It looks like this will happen when your primary Write.as blog is either Private or Password-protected – did you change that setting recently?

I suppose we might have to change how this works. Maybe if you’re commenting on a post publicly, even from a private blog, that individual post should be considered “public”…

Now that you mention it, ayup. I set it to private because it’s not live. Would making it password only do the trick?

Thanks!
Ray

P.S. Love the reply by email feature here, tis how I responded.