Will Remark.as ever allow for public comments?

Right now, Remark.as is all a closed ecosystem to write.as. The vast majority of my readers don’t have a write.as account, so they don’t have a real way of commenting.

In a perfect world, there is the ability for guests to leave comments, and then also to port in comments from the Federverse (i.e. comments on Mastodon posts, similar to the way “likes” are counted).

I’m curious to know, @matt, if any of this is on the horizon.

2 Likes

Hoping in to say it says I can’t use Remark.as from a private blog for me, I think it’s because I’ve deleted my first blog. Annoying.

Otherwise, I think that remark.as is more or less useless as long as it is restricted.

Yep, comments are at the top of my to-do list right now. I’m just juggling a few other things, like some customer discounts and WordPress importing (due to recent events).

This was the last update on fediverse comments – they’re working, but we need moderation controls. And as for comments outside of that, they’ll probably be more straightforward, but still depend on those same moderation / spam controls. Maybe I could start there, instead of with the fediverse :thinking:

The goal is definitely to open it up – it started closed just so we didn’t have to worry so much about spam and abuse.

You should be able to change your Write.as username to another (non-private) blog on your account, and then Remark.as should work for you. Just note that it will change the username you log in with. Otherwise, please start a new thread where we can discuss! Don’t want you to stay locked out.