Themes

This is a topic dedicated to the our Themes blog, where we showcase themes from the community to show what’s possible with customization on Write.as/WriteFreely. Feel free to leave feedback or questions about particular themes along with requests.

The inspiration for this week’s theme comes from outside of the Write.as/WriteFreely universe - a theme inspired by the blog of architect and computational designer Nono Martínez Alonso (check it out here).

Big thanks to @jasoncomely for recommending the theme and @quiethabits for helping recreate it on Write.as.

6 Likes

Just noted that: there’s a typo in the 3rd paragraph:

“So copy the theme code over to the Custom CSS and JavaScripte, save your changes, and check out your updated blog theme!”

Thanks for the heads up on the How-to page @sfss! Just took care of it.

A new theme this week from @bugbuster! Thanks for being a pivotal part of the community, especially with your help on the forum!

2 Likes

Very nice theme.

And one more theme for the week! This is a theme from the Snap.as blog. One interesting thing about it is that it can allow you to place a logo alongside your blog title.

3 Likes

Happy to include my blog theme here: https://write.as/longhouselife/

2 Likes

Thanks @lhl! Your blog theme is awesome - I especially like the boxes around each post on the home page. Do you mind if I share it on the Themes blog? Any license in mind? We usually do a Public Domain equivalent license (Creative Commons) if that works.

1 Like

No, don’t mind at all. It is mostly themed from various options others have come up with here.

How do you want me to share the CSS/JS…?

Excellent! We’ll have it up sometime on Wednesday then. As far as sharing the CSS/JS, we can take care of that by getting it through the Write.as API (docs here for anyone interested).

New theme this week is from @lhl’s blog! Thanks again for letting us showcase it. I personally love how the home page shows the posts in that card format – makes it a lot easier to read on first glance.

2 Likes

Our new theme this week is from Wordsmith admin @carbontwelve 's blog! It is inspired by the wonderful design of Increment Magazine.

1 Like

@cjeller1592 - I think you may have posted the CSS from my blog not Carbontwelve’s…?

Thanks for the catch @lhl! I just fixed it. Sorry about that!

2 Likes

Nice work cjeller1592, and Happy New Year!

P.S. Hope to get consistent with my writing again. Switching jobs and going on night shift threw me for a loop!

1 Like

Thanks @jasoncomely!

We’re getting back on the weekly themes with a great one from the folks at Fosstodon! I personally like it as a way to do a dark theme that isn’t simply black background with white text.

3 Likes

This Themes Blog is a great resource. Much appreciated.

Feature Request:
An easy-to-browse library of themes along with demos that we can install and change with one-click. That would be easier for normies to work with. But, of course, allow the purists to still work with CSS, etc. as they please.

1 Like

The ability to preview your own blog with a given theme would surely encourage more people to try new themes. Not only the WordPress juggernaut does that; even small indie platforms like Blot do.

Customisation/personalisation is always one of the most popular features on any platform.

1 Like

Great suggestion @fjhvio! There’s some development on our end to make it a reality (see T637) but it’s definitely on our minds (it’s been on mine even before the Themes blog).

Completely agree @nibl! A preview feature would be a great idea. Even a test blog where you could mess around with creating a custom theme would be helpful.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it coming along with theme requests.

2 Likes

Yup, IMO: it’s good that it is like that right now, but for long term sustainability this change necessary.

2 Likes