Semi Password Protected Blogs?

Hi! I’m uh… very new to write.as and am about to get a Pro account and had a question!

Is there an option to password protect certain posts on a blog or, alternatively, have different passwords to open different posts (similar to how privateer.net lets you assign one per post on their site)?

I was hoping to use one of my new Pro accounts for writing and wanted some posts to be freely available while other ones are only available to supporters via kofi, with the ability to “un-protect” posts at a later date. Ideally I’d love to keep all my writing together instead of freely readable stuff on one blog, password protected on another blog and later transferred because that would break links all the time.

Seconded. I wanted to use my currently password protected blog (more of a journal) to create pages I can then add to my main website as links/buttons, since the layout of my primary website doesn’t really work with more content than is already up (I know that’s weird, but whatever). Things like an extended bio and stuff. At the moment I can do this with anonymous post links, but then, the link loses the ‘blog.’ subdomain I’ve set up as well as the look of my page, which uses my own logo in place of a title and hides the W.a branding. My other option is unlocking my blog, which I would rather not to. It would be nice to have the option to unlock certain pages, which would still be hidden behind the password page, when being accessed from the main blog page, but visible if using the specific link/slug. Links I could then use for the above mentioned purpose.

oh that’s actually a good idea like… having keys for a page that bypasses the requirements for password / private would allow for easy sharing and, if write.as had the ability for you to delete keys, that helps with privacy concerns. if you can make multiple keys per post, you can even decide who gets to still see content while limiting if needed (which is great for, say, someone wanting to share a writing snippet but only for a limited time)

Any news on this?
Would be nice to have such feature.

Thanks for starting the conversation on this, @yuu1412! This one is going to take some thought, but I like the specific use cases you all have mentioned, and I could absolutely see this fitting in with the platform.

So far, I think the best way to go about this would be something like the “keys” approach you mention, instead of passwords on each post. This would nicely support the monetization features we’ve started adding, as well as using ko-fi or simply giving people access to posts automatically like in @anx’s use case. I think as our monetization features keep evolving, we can consider including this functionality there.

Out of curiosity, how would you intend to use this feature, @bythosbytes?

I use one of my blogs to post write-ups to reversing engineering challenges from hackthebox.
Although, based on their policy, some of them can’t be made public available to everyone.

Only those that already solved the challenges, and got the Security flag, should be able to read the write ups.

So, I want to protect posts with different passwords to not spoil the solution, and fun, of these challenges.

I’ve tried to protect these posts using some sort of javascript function but the posts itself do not have that option.

TL;DR: protect sensitive information. There’s no programmatically workaround (I’m not aware of).

Any updates on this?

No progress on this so far. As the team has other priorities at the moment, to make this happen in the near future, I think it would either need to be contributed to WriteFreely by the community, or we’d need to take it on as paid development.