Remark.as - privacy-first, portable comments

How do I change which of my blogs is the primary one?

1 Like

here’s a screenshot of what people are getting (myself included when I click on my own “Discuss…” link -

I checked out a few discuss links and the only ones working have been the ones from blogs with a custom URL. Is this feature not yet working with write.as or writeas.com domains?

Same request. Also: looks like because my primary (first?) blog was set to private I could not post comments.

What a huge milestone, I can imagine how hard you’ve been working behind-the-scenes on this, Matt, and I wanted to say congratulations. I’m hoping that some day (soon? :upside_down_face:) both Write.As and non-Write.As readers of my blog are able to make comments too. Thanks again for your continued work and passion.

1 Like

I keep getting that as well. Not sure why this is happening? Maybe @matt can advise?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! @tobenschmidt is right – it seems the links are only working for custom domains (e.g. in @tmo’s URL, the write.as/ part shouldn’t be included). I’ll get a fix out shortly.

As for the primary blog issue, I’ll see if I can put something together that lets you comment as a non-primary profile. This was going to come eventually, but I haven’t thought it all the way through yet. If I can’t put something together quickly, it might just be better to hold off on using Remark.as for now, unfortunately.

Also, I’ll be fixing the Cafe loading issues – I see it’s extremely slow right now.

1 Like

Cheers, Matt. Thanks for addressing the URL 404 issue swiftly.

I thought the Cafe loading issue was just on my end. Hopefully, both get sorted soon.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Deleting primary blog

I was able to reply to a couple blogs including your Protohistory post yesterday but today I find I can’t reply to anything (including the protohistory thread):

{"code":403,"error_msg":"You can't reply from this collection."}

Let me know how I can help get this sorted.

Thanks!
Ray

Thanks for mentioning this, Ray. It looks like this will happen when your primary Write.as blog is either Private or Password-protected – did you change that setting recently?

I suppose we might have to change how this works. Maybe if you’re commenting on a post publicly, even from a private blog, that individual post should be considered “public”…

Now that you mention it, ayup. I set it to private because it’s not live. Would making it password only do the trick?

Thanks!
Ray

P.S. Love the reply by email feature here, tis how I responded.

For now, your blog will need to either be Unlisted or Public to comment on others’ posts. I’ll look at addressing this soon, though.

Awesome, glad to hear it! :relaxed:

1 Like

Those “discuss” links are fixed now! I’ve also added some caching to the Cafe, so it should load faster.

1 Like

Hi Ray, where can I find this “reply by email” feature?

Maybe I’m not looking at the right places. :crazy_face:

When you get a topic emailed to you from the forum you can just reply directly to it in your email without needing to visit the thread. : )
Ray

Got it! I thought this was a feature in W.a blogs.

That would be a very useful feature! Fingers crossed….

I think a major flaw in remark.as in its current form is that people who don’t have write.as accounts see the “Discuss” link and click on it, thinking they’ll be able to comment, and are frustrated that they can’t. I got so many complaints, I eventually removed the link.

1 Like

This is not really a fix, but more of a workaround. You can edit your post signature to include alternate options in case they can’t make use of the Discuss link. Of course this comment is assuming you have alternate options. You can put a link to Mastodon or Twitter or even an email address as alternate options though.

Or you can add verbiage on there that says for Write.as users only. I actually tried that for awhile, but it seemed to be too much. Which is why i think it is better to just give them different options.

1 Like