New Post Emails Not Being Sent to Email Subscribers

Hi there,

I’ve had an issue where email subscribers to my blog aren’t receiving emails about my new posts. I’m a Pro user and I have emails enabled so I’m curious as to what the issue might be.

Thanks

Hi, could you share your username / blog with us, either here or privately @support? Then we can take a look into this.

My blog is Kool-Aid with Karan.

Thanks

Thanks. And just to help us debug, how are you finding that emails aren’t getting sent to subscribers? Have you subscribed to your blog yourself? And has everyone checked their Spam folder for the emails?

I am subscribed to my own blog and know several of my subscribers personally. Neither myself nor those I know who are subscribed have received a single post email dating back to last summer. We’ve checked the spam folder every time.

Got it. And how do you publish posts? On the web? Via the command line or email? If it’s on the web, are you publishing them straight to your blog? Or do you publish as an Anonymous post and then later move the post to your blog?

I always publish on the web. I publish an anonymous post and then move them to my blog.

Okay, so I would assume this is what’s happening:

Emails send on a 15 minute delay from the published date. That date is initially set when you publish the anonymous post, and then remains the same when you move it to your blog. So if you move it to your blog after that 15 minute window, the email won’t get sent.

To work around this, you could keep your publishing flow, but:

  1. before moving the post to your blog, update the published date to the current date and time (by clicking the “now” button)
  2. then move it to your blog

That would make sure your posts always get emailed out.

Of course, I know that’s not an enjoyable workflow, so this is a bit of an open question as to how we solve this.

As it stands today, I’m not sure we want to automatically update the published date when you move an anonymous post to a blog, because people could be moving it for other reasons besides publishing a draft.

I think the problem comes down to us mixing “anonymous posts” with “drafts.” I know this gray area has caused confusion with other users, and indeed in WriteFreely, these kinds of posts are actually just called Drafts. Maybe it’s time to make a more formal “draft” feature, to make all of this more straightforward? Among other things, then we could ensure that the published date is automatically updated, and so your posts always get sent out.

Any thoughts or feedback?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help. I think a separate “drafts” feature would be nice, though I do like the “anonymous posts” feature. I found that the ease of reading my posts within a browser before publishing to my blog allowed me to more easily ask friends for editing/opinions.

Maybe a pop-up saying something along the lines of “adjust publishing date” appears when moving a post from anonymous to blog?

1 Like

Hey!

I also noticed this strange behavior… I did not know about the 15 min delay after creation date.

I personally think that it should be 15 min after making a post live but it’s no biggie now that I know how it works.

Another thing that I notice is that the email does not have the quote in the post. Please find screenshots attached.

Thanks,
Martin.

What about using another field? You keep “published_time” as it is (that keeps the blog’s order) and set “live_time” (time where it moved to blog) whenever the user makes the post “go live”

Then the script that sends the emails uses the live_time field instead of published_time for sending emails.

My two cents,
Martin.

Here is how I use anonymous posts as drafts to avoid this issue:

  • I start writing my draft as an anonymous post.
  • When I’m ready to publish, I copy the content of the anonymous post and paste it into a new post for the blog I’m publishing it to.

This workflow avoids the slug/url, publish date and email issues that can surface when moving an anonymous post into a blog.

Not exactly a solution to the problem. Just sharing a possible workaround.