Navigating between posts

Hello! Love the app, it’s really beautiful.

One of my readers was pointing out that when I link to individual posts however it is not obvious how to navigate to older ones. I think at the moment the way is to click the blog title which will take you to the index, but the issue was that it was not obvious to her that the blog title was a link, or that it would show a menu.

Would you consider support for navigating between posts, like a pointer to previous and next with titles?

1 Like

Hey @bkam, thanks! Really glad you like it.

That’s great feedback. This is the first time I’ve heard of someone having trouble with that navigation, but a few users have brought up this idea of links to the next / previous post, including in this thread. We’re also working on a feature that lets you group certain blog posts together to create series of posts. So the option to have navigation between posts like you suggest is definitely on the table. I’ll keep everyone updated here as we make progress on that.

4 Likes

Glad the series of posts as a menu item is being worked on!

Yes I was a bit surprised too that it was confusing! Thanks for looking into this though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loving the idea of grouping together a series of posts. As far as I know, no other blog engine does that (out of the box).

1 Like

Has this feature been implemented?
Any progress also on the navigation between posts?

You can sort of do this, if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty with JavaScript. I have it working for some of the “series” on my site. The posts I shared below talks about how I implemented it. I did need to follow a specific post-slug naming format for it to work.

Note that in those posts I talked about my journal entries. They’re no longer viewable on my site. But the Music Log series (and some others) still have the PREVIOUS and NEXT buttons at the bottom of each post.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @dino for sharing all this and for answering my question. I read through your blog post.
As I would like to keep the blog as simple as possible and focus more on writing than having to mess with too much JS (which I have no knowledge at the moment), I think I will just stick with simple links via markdown from one post to the next and to the previous. And hopefully in the future there might be a simpler method for end-users.

1 Like

is there somewhere else this is discussed or that next / previous links have been implemented? Could use that feature in my current work.

Well, just walked through the book and added them manually. Here’s hoping as I work on the 2ed, I don’t have too much reorganization.