Write.as Letters

We are happy to announce that we are moving email subscriptions out of labs and into our core product as Write.as Letters! Thanks for all your continued feedback and support with improving this feature. We hope it serves as a minimal, principled alternative for running a newsletter.

Check out the official announcement and feel free to continue the discussion here with additional feedback, questions, and comments.

5 Likes

Hi!

I think I have seen this suggestion somewhere else in these forums, but I wanted to follow up here since it’s relevant to Letters.

It would be nice to have the option of preventing certain posts from being delivered in the newsletter.

This could be useful if, for example, we are making a tags page, search page, or anything that is more “functional” rather than a proper post we want our users to read.

I think most subscribers would find it annoying to get emails like “here is a tag page”, etc… :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a fantastic point @Melyanna, especially for pinnedp osts. I wonder if a short code like <!--noemail--> could do the trick. We could also just have backend logic that says no pinned posts gets delivered in the newsletter.

Any further suggestions would be great!

1 Like

Both options are good though have pros and cons:

1. <!--noemail--> is good because this way each author is free to decide which post gets delivered and which doesn’t. But on the other hand is something that needs to be added manually, so easy to forget.

2. no pinned posts in the newsletter is automatic, so great as it does not require any manual action, but doesn’t give the author freedom to decide.

Personally I think I’d like option 1 better, though hopefully it doesn’t overcomplicate things.

1 Like

I agree that giving people more freedom would be best. The markup would just have to be made apparent in documentation and elsewhere, otherwise people will miss out on it.

We’ll look further into it and let everyone know if we make any additional changes. But again, thanks for the great feedback @Melyanna!

2 Likes

Thank you for this feature. Can we provide one URL/link to anyone where they will see only the subscription form to my blog/newsletter?

Hi @kushaldas! You certainly can create a “Subscribe” post for your blog/newsletter similar to what @matt has here.

Just add the <!--emailsub--> markup which creates the subscription form in a post. Once published, you can pin the post as a static page(follow the guide here for help). Then just provide the link of that post for anyone who wants to subscribe.

1 Like

Thank you for the help.

Of course! And please feel free to reach out on the forum if you have more questions, feedback, or feature requests. We’d be glad to hear it!