Write As Apps for Mac and Smartphones

As far as I understand the WriteAs apps for iPone, iPad and Android do not allow you to write and publish on your own Write As site.

Is there a workaround for this? Or a third party app that does this?

I assume the above feature is in demand, so I was wondering if the Write As team had a rough time line?

Thank you.

The best workaround for now would be using the web browser. You can even add the website to your home screen on iPhone, iPad, and Android, making it easier to access.

We’re also developing components to help outside developers create mobile apps now – it’s definitely something we’d love to see more of! And we plan to support Micropub in the near future, which is a publishing protocol that will allow you to use great writing apps like iA Writer.

Otherwise I do want to launch updated first-party apps, but just don’t have a solid timeline on that. Will keep you updated here as that changes!

6 Likes

Being able to publish from iA writer would be a dream for me. Fingers crossed for this development

5 Likes

+1 for iA Writer support, via Micropub. It would be amazing.

1 Like

Great to know that you all would appreciate Micropub support! We will be tracking development there on T374.

In the meantime, we’ve actually started development on a Mac, iPhone, and iPad app that we hope to have finished this summer! More info / discussion here:

2 Likes

Honestly, I lack the words to express how important and awesome posting support through iA would be. While I absolutely love Write.as, I often – and almost reflexively – beeline for iA, whenever I go to write. Even in situations where, upon reflection, I’d rather have made use of my Write.as subscription. Obviously I could move entries over (as I have in many cases), but it’s not quite the same as being able to open iA and view it as a direct extension and part of the same ecosystem as what is, far and away, the best blogging platform out there.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve lamented not being able to do this, under the impression that it would remain as such. This literally made my day. Any ETA on when is gonna reach fruition? Having a fully functional and feature rich iOS app is also super exciting to hear, so I don’t mean to overshadow that too much with my iA fanboydom.

1 Like

I’d like this as well. What I would also like is a connector that would enable any markdown editing app to post to write.as. I use drafts to write blog posts and then split the screen on my iPad to copy over the post. This is only a few steps. Maybe two steps really. IAwriter for me is a long form writing tool. A dedicated app sounds pretty good too. I like my workflow now creating blogposts with the drafts app and a bookmark on my iPad for the write.as new post. It would be cool if so,done used any of the markdown tools like Ulysses or IAwriter or Drafts to be able to post. Bear notes enabled posting by using the Wordpress app on iOS. Just my thoughts.

While my usage levels can’t begin to compare to iA (despite still paying for Bear Pro, year after year) Bear integration would be great too.

Not exactly about native apps, but I’m excited about the planned WYSIWYG Editor. It will definitely enhance the mobile experience. Also, there is a discussion about a PWA. If that works out fine, both of these combined will be a decent native-like app for all platforms.

Sincerely, I am at a loss for words when describing how significant and fantastic posting support through iA would be. Even while I adore Write.as to the moon and back, whenever I sit down to write, I frequently—almost reflexively—head for iA. Even though, in retrospect, I would have preferred to use my Write.as membership. It’s true that I could transfer entries (as I frequently have), but it’s not quite the same as opening iA and seeing it as a natural continuation and member of the same ecosystem as what is, by far, the best blogging platform available.

1 Like

This showed up as a recent (2 days ago) post in the forum feed, but can’t see any post past April 11th.
Anyawy, I see that @matt has been silent on T374 , and there is no Micropub support yet. Could we ask for an update on this feature possibility please? Thanks!