Two ideas and a question

I was thinking that a few new features would make a write.as blog interesting:

1. Infinite scroll: Once a blog amasses a stream of content then activating infinite scroll instead of navigating through pages gives the perfect hit. I find clicking on a button to go to the next page an impediment. (https://stratechery.com/ does this with considerable brilliance.

2. Maybe it is already possible with javascript - a “random post” option as a blog navigation tool, adding some variety in accessing content.

Off the topic - is a theme like the one over at https://bestmotherfucking.website/ compatible with write.as? If so, how?

Thank you for reading through, I really love write.as, one of the best internet finds for me :slight_smile:

On point 1, infinite scroll, I like the idea, but I think it’d be nice for authors to have the option of activating it or not.
In fact, I think it would be good to let authors either pick the number of posts shown in the main page, or activate infinite scroll.

Something like:

• Only the last post is visible
  • 5 posts
  • 10 posts
  • Arbitrary number
  • infinite scroll

I think this would allow authors to pick the option that better suits the way they are using their blog.

3 Likes

And to the random post idea, I actually created an app a while ago that can do this for you. If you want to see it in action, check out the “Random” pinned post on my blog.

All you need to do is create an account on Glitch and follow the instructions in the README to embed the app on your blog.

I’m not a fan of infinite scrolling. And so, if write.as does implement it, I would like to have the option to keep pagination in place. My reason for not wanting infinite scrolling is because I believe it is detrimental to the health of the readers. I want the readers to make a conscious decision to want to read more, by clicking the link to get more posts. Otherwise there is the possibility that they will end up wasting more time than they wanted to, by scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.

4 Likes