Trying to install writefreely, CLI-Only

Heya, I’m trying to install WriteFreely on a Server where I only have CLI Access. How would I go about that? I’ve already tried to go get it but the schema that was shown in the Repo did not work for me.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Hey, is it the database schema that didn’t work? Or something else?

And do you need to install from source? That is, do you plan on modifying the software?

1 Like

I don’t know how else I’d install, I tried to use the #quick-start part but didn’t know how to use it, after I used go get -d github.com/writeas/writefreely/cmd/writefreely

If you don’t need to modify the software, you can download the fully-built application and skip all the Go / Node.js / everything compilation.

Basically, you’ll download the latest release and extract the files on your server (here’s how to do that), then run the commands shown on the Getting Started page.

This thread has a good walkthrough if you’re starting from scratch, or aren’t familiar with nginx / systemd on Ubuntu.

Ah, I missed this before – to clarify, everything in the Quick Start section of the README is meant to be run from the command-line. (I’m updating the docs to reflect this now.)

but how do I even download a release when I don’t have access to a graphical interface?

You can download to your local machine and then upload via FTP, as mentioned in that thread, or use the instructions I linked to before, which include using the wget command:

1 Like

I got it to work with the Help of a friend, now I’m only missing the CSS Stuff.

Great! What CSS stuff is missing?

I’d like somebody to share with me the instructions on how to install Write Freely on Windows 10. The file writefreely.exe, downloaded from here, will not run.
I wouldn’t say I understand these configuration instructions, either. They seem neither precise, nor complete. Who will provide better instructions?
What should I do in exchange for this service? I and my team can help you provide such instructions more effectively.

Hey Julian, we’d appreciate any contributions you could make to the documentation!

What error did you get when you tried to run the executable from the command-line? Also, in the install instructions, you’ll replace the writefreely commands with writefreely.exe. But I agree, we should make that more clear for Windows users. Thanks for the input!

We use Podio to manage data, communicate with customers, and take their orders. I invite you to write me here. I assure you that Podio is a good means; we can use it at least for deciding on what software we are going to use next.
I’ve liked Discourse for years, but it has shortcomings that make us keep avoiding it.