Spam issues

To be 100% frank, I see some glaring issues but they have nothing to do with what you seem to think they are.

For one, your paranoia about your service being used for spam is preventing your actual and potential users from being able to use your platform at all. You claim to be a privacy centered platform that does not engage in censorship (or so you bill yourself) and yet what you are doing is a quintessential example of censorship.

My direct experience attempting to utilize your platform, 6 out of 7 attempts to publish anything utilizing your platform were inaccurately flagged as spam with no recourse and no means of recovering my content.

Three of the six that were flagged did not even contain any outbound links whatsoever. Two of them contained outbound links to authority sites that I cannot possibly be mistaken for owning or controlling as a citation to validate points made in the article which is actually good practice (my name is not Rand fishkin and therefore I clearly do not own MOZ, yet a link to a blog post on Moz that I cited was foolishly mislabeled as spam and a 1500+ word article and a bunch of research gone in a second because of your overzealous and amateurish spam filtering crusade) and one of the six did happen to link to eat blog post on my own blog because that particular post was in fact mentioned at that point and contextually relevant therefore it was actually best practices to link to it.

So in a nutshell, so far all you’re doing is making your platform unusable and really pissing off what would otherwise be very loyal paying customers. It’s also not very helpful to rub salt into the wounds by seeing your constant obsessive emails soliciting input on how to more aggressively attack a probably imagined spam problem on your fledgling platform, after losing all of that work and time because of this nonsense.

For the record, WordPress, blogger, Weebly, wix, jimdo, livejournal - are all much larger and A LOT more authoritative then your platform, and that’s putting it charitably, they actually do have scammers targeting their platforms because they actually ARE lucrative established targets for parasite SEO, which quite frankly you are not.

These authority sites do effectively control and mitigate their respective real (not imagined) spam problems and keep their platforms under control. Considering their size and relative authority and therefore the potential payout for the spammer, not only are they dealing with more spammers then your customer base could possibly grow to within the next 5 years, but they are also dealing with much more aggressive and sophisticated spammers - and they managed to keep it under control.

More importantly, they managed to do so without completely butchering the user experience, chasing away and aggravating their user base and they do not come across as aggressive in their efforts to mitigate their ACTUAL spam issue. You, on the other hand, have turned the relative minor nuisance that comes with any platform of what, at the very most, could possibly be a handful of actual spammers AT MOST and turned it into a large-scale alienation of new and potential users, and I guarantee you I’m not the only one as frustrated with your nonsense efforts as I am oh, and I gave you more chances that I probably should have actually.

In short, you do not have a Spam problem. You have a founder problem and an overzealous alleged “spam prevention” problem - and you are likely costing yourself exponentially more in Lost revenue from would be loyal customers who would likely have referred your platform to still other customers they you have effectively destroyed any chance of winning back than the aggregate pennies you might be out per year do to thin content pages that marketers make on your platform that might have a link or two on them.

And for the record, SEO and spam are not the same thing. Creating backlinks and distributing informational content is not spam. that’s actually exactly how I and I’m sure pretty much every other user found you to begin with. It certainly wasn’t through osmosis.

You may not like hearing any of this but it’s the truth and probably the best advice you will get. I’ve lost enough time and effort to your antics to where I personally am completely through with you at this point, consider my taking the time to tell you the truth about your efforts, communications, user experience and practices a final parting charity.

Hopefully this sinks in and you get off this ridiculous tirade of imaginary spam so you don’t completely and permanently sabotage your platforms chances of success, if you haven’t already, because it has a great deal of potential. Otherwise I would not have wasted the effort writing and completely losing 6 x 1500+ word articles attempting to make your platform work. But if you keep this spam prevention agenda up - even slightly - and don’t drop it, especially considering how terrible you are at identifying what actually is and is not spam (my case is a perfect example of what you don’t know) your chances of this platform lasting are pretty much nil.

Stop cutting off your nose to spite your face

I appreciate the input. But people that are only “creating backlinks and distributing informational content” (i.e. spam content) ruin the reputation of our site. We need to protect the many people enjoying our platform as it’s intended – that’s why we have platform guidelines in the first place. Unfortunately it sounds like we weren’t a good fit, but there are plenty of other high-authority sites for you to share your backlinks on instead.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

Really great post, appreciate it a lot. What I think is also important about spam is the classification, as you may need different methods to deal with different types of spam. I have seen most of them in this article https://www.seoquake.com/blog/types-of-spam/, but I`m sure that there are more types. What do you think?