Serve blog on different federate address

Hi, I serve my blog over blog.example.com. I enabled federation now when someone wants to follow me they would write john@blog.example.com but I want it to be john@example.com only. So can I do that??

up.

me too.

Actually I’d like to be able to select the Mastodon instance if possible. I’m over at @name@mastodon.social and myblog is hosted at blog.example.com with name@blog.example.com being federated. I want to switch that to @name@mastodon.social. Is it possible?

1 Like

The problem with doing what you want: blogname@mastodon.social is you have to have WriteFreely responding to web requests at mastodon.social. Which, since the mastodon instance already answers that mean’s no. If the owners of mastodon.social domain will let you subdomain, like yourwfhostname.mastodon.social, then your writefreely follow would be @blogname@yourwfhostname.mastodon.social which is as close as you’re gonna get.

There may be some really esoteric endpoint proxying capable like so all endpoint requests to mastadon.social/yourblogname are redirected to yourblogsrvr.mastadon.social but that’s hecka complex and you need the mastadon.social domain owners and instance admins involved. When other federated services hit your wf instance the URL they use is:

urwrsrvr.org/usrname/blog.post.titles ← a request for post content
urwfsrvr.org/api/collections/usrname/inbox ← for listing of your blog posts (similar to how mastodon checks for toots)
urwfsrvr.org/statics/* ← fonts, CSS,icons that aren’t user specific
urwfsrvr.org/api/* ← server info, stats, list of users etc. (this would conflict with the mastadon instance)

You could map the usrname specific endpoints to redirect to a wf subdomain (wf.mastadon.social), but since the mastodon instance is already servicing calls under your mastadon user name you’d have to rename your blog to be like usernamesblog@mastadon.social.

In @esmailelbob 's case, IF he owns the example.com domain and can park a wf server to respond to web requests FOR example.com then yes, he/she/they can.

But if there’s already a webserver doing something for example.com (which is really www.example.com to be clear; http/s ASSUMES unless you specify a subdomain its www. whatever) then it and writefreely will fight.