Reading To Become A Better Writer

I have a question for the w.a members out there (and write freely, too, of course) - do you feel that reading more (be it books, longform articles, lengthy blog posts) helps with your ability/creativity as a writer? I find myself lacking in the reading department (esp books) other than r.w.a and a few feeds I subscribe to on Feedly.

Does active/regular reading improve your creative process? I am curious what anyone has to say. Thanks.

TMO

2 Likes

Personally, I think reading helps out a ton. I feel like when you read a book you live with the author for a bit. I believe you can absorb the style of some writers in that process and, if you are intentional, have that come out in your own writing.

If anything, it also gives you material to write about. A lot of posts on my blog are comprised of commenting on passages from what Iā€™m reading. This helps me internalize books a lot better than simply highlighting or copying quotes.

1 Like

Thanks. I agree that reading has helped me absorb writing styles in the past, and will again in the future. And by writing about what Iā€™ve read is similar to what I have done when studying a subject (for school or just for fun).

Any specific recommendations on books (or longform articles) you have read that has personally made you a better writer? I am always looking for new material.

TMO

I think the best quote I read on reading was something like, ā€œreading allows you to borrow someoneā€™s brain for awhileā€. I think reading books is crucial for expanding our minds and our creativity.

Here are some more reasons to read.

Reading is crucial for me. Youā€™re bound to be unconsciously influenced by what you read. But itā€™s also good to look at the technicalities of someone elseā€™s craft after youā€™ve discovered something you like.

I agree. Reading more perspectives/different styles would definitely improve (or at least influence) my writing abilities. Thanks.

Pick up The Overstory by Richard Powers. Also My Struggle by KnausgƄrd. And then read Independent People by Laxness.

These are all novels. Longform.org has great nonfiction articles. Check out Home of the Brave podcast for excellent radio writing.

Good luck!

Nice recommendations @bodyofwater! I started Overstory but hadnā€™t gotten around to continuing it. Beautiful writing so far though.

If thereā€™s a book Iā€™d recommend itā€™d be neurologist Oliver Sacksā€™ memoir On the Move. Along with the crazy life he led, itā€™s a great look into how someone becomes a better writer over time. Throughout the memoir heā€™s constantly referring to his writing practices and the countless times that heā€™s lost manuscripts for books:

Hi, Iā€™m also in search of starting ideas to bring my writing to the next level. Itā€™s my long time wish to be a professional writer, but never made it to the right place. I have managed blogs and articles space for different websites that I have managed in the past. But Iā€™m looking to have my own writing space with a blog where I want to share independent thoughts mixed with some entertaining news content from around the globe.

What you guys are going to suggest me to kickstart my professional writing career?

Thanks All.

1 Like

Great questionā€¦ so I would say 'yes and ā€˜noā€™.

I love reading. Like others in this thread have mentioned, I feel like you canā€™t help but read what others have written and influenced by it and be exposed to different writing styles. (There was a book I read which partly helped inspire my first book).

That being said, I feel that - for example - if youā€™re writing a non-fiction book about ā€˜meditationā€™, you can go out and research all these other books, but reading/informing yourself/filling your head with this stuff can actually take you away from your writing voice and the book that needs to be written by YOU. (Because itā€™s you that makes you different from any other writer or human being out there).

Which is why I think itā€™s a both a ā€˜yesā€™ and a 'no, IMHO.

Thanks jas, I can understand your points. I know itā€™s from within me that I need to start first about how I want to approach my journey to this professional writing.

Looking to have created a plan to make the next steps :+1:

1 Like

hey @CatherineJo, so I was actually responding to the 1st post in this threadā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Re: your question about starting as a professional writer, having blogged since 2015 and having tred various places in that time, I wanted to go simple/minimal, which is exactly why I moved to Write.As in August. Another place you might wish to take a look at is micro.blog. I talked about both places in a recent video I made, if youā€™re interested. Happy writing! :blush:

1 Like

Haha @jas okay no probs.

Anyway, I have watched your video and itā€™s a good one. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like