# questions

1. is there a way to see the #’s I’ve used on my site, so I can be consistant despite not having memory? That would allow me to use them as a type of category organization, which I’d love.

2. A list of tags so people can brows them (likely the same as above, but a separate use of it, from the reader side vs. the writer side.

A typical url for tags looks something like this: https://deaconpatrick.org/tag:Catholic. So you could make a pinned post that includes similar links to tags that people can browse.

As far as the first case goes, it requires some digging into the Write.as API a bit. I did a little tinkering around with the API and grabbed the tags you’ve used for your blog so far:

[‘theologyofthebody’, ‘Catholic’, ‘universe’, ‘life’, ‘Gospel’, ‘Hate’, ‘Love’, ‘Rivendell’, ‘FixedGear’, ‘WithAbandon’, ‘vanishingcommonarts’, ‘cursive’, ‘GodsEngineering’]

@Matt, maybe a simple tag manager would be a good tool to incorporate later down the road?

1 Like

Thank you, @cjeller1592! I’ve now done what I ought to’ve already, and have a list of #’s in my project notebook.

Going back through my posts I remembered a frustration/challenge of tags because they are getting used in different places, therefor differently.

Twitter tags: tags I choose because I think they are what others will search for or are already using. For me, this includes the #’s Catholic, universe, hate, love, cursive. I only used these tags because of Twitter, and other than there, they are a form of clutter. I’d rather they were’nt part of my blog “Category” tags. For example, arguably, all my posts are Catholic, so it is a usless Category tag.

I wonder if there could be “Category tags” for blog organization? Somehow I select which tags of the tag cloud I’ve used are Categories. These then appear in Category navigation for both writer and reader.

Personally, I have tag index in my about page and edit it manually. It’s pretty easy for me to maintain because I’m really methodical with my tags, and I don’t use a huge variety of tags. Though, I’d think it’d be super cool if there was a way that it was automated instead.

2 Likes

i would love a script or plugin or something that enables me to query the writefreely db, pull all tags, and output a page that i can pin to the top, for my readers.

i cover a LOT of different subjects on my blog, and this would really help with organization.

not only that, but perhaps it would even help with what i call the “max posts per tag” issue, which @matt @cjeller1592 appears to be some sort of a limitation or bug… wherein:

"if user x, tags so many posts with a ceratain tag, then navigates to blog.tld/username/tag:footag, footag will fail to bring up all the content with that particular tag, only around 12 or so posts.

1 Like

i’ll put in a hearty vote for this.

but not so much a tag manager, moreso a tags page, KISS (although nobody here is stupid, so to be clear im not implying that.)

:slight_smile:

a tag manager: therein with the following basic functionality:

• all tags can be seen on a page such like: blog.tld/foouser/tags

:slight_smile: which can be of course, pinned to the top of a blog.

as the basic functionality. even if we just got ----this----- , for now. it would help innumerably.

second part of wishlist: eliminate or squash bug error where you can’t have more than x # of posts tagged with same hashtag, thus creating a faithful list of posts with a certain tag.

therein with respect to the immedate above: i have some tags i use often, say more than 12 times across 2K + posts. foo.tld/foouser/tag:footag will only pull about a dozen of those posts. which, for my readers - is unacceptable.

:slight_smile:

thanks so much, i hope this reaches you all in good spirits and health.

Would definitely enjoy some form or variant of tag manager.

1 Like