Publishing a draft post, workflow

I think it would make sense if you could publish a draft post while viewing or editing the draft.

For example: you have a post that you have been working on. Coming back a few times. Then you make a few changes or read it over once more, and decide it’s ready.

Now you have to go back to the list of drafts to publish it.

It would be nice if there was:

• an option like when your first writing, to publish to your blog.
  • an option to publish from the rendered draft view similar to the list of drafts view.
2 Likes

100x this :+1:

Is this aligned with the goals the team has? I’d gladly contribute a PR for this

There’s a few workflow things I’d like in addition or that could make draft posts work for me. I’d like to be able to access draft posts from multiple devices. If I start a post on my iPhone it would be nice if I could then add to it from my iPad. I use a iCloud markdown editor now that lets me sync my draft posts via iCloud files. It’s very handy for me for this workflow. Another thing around drafts would be to have the iOS writefreely app support cloud storage for drafts via a plug-in architecture. I’m not sure how app stores work for in app purchases but it seems adding cloud storage would be a way at least to me for adding value in iOS and Mac. Finally to me true freedom would be posting via a share item from any markdown editor. Like IAwriter or drafts or whatever. Seems to me people have workflows and they want draft posts to enable more creativity and flexibility to editing and publishing. More integrated snap.as support throughout the process would be nice too.

Just my wishlist items for draft posts :grinning:.

1 Like

The thing I find frustrating is that if I publish a draft post, then move it to my blog, there seems to be no way to auto-tweet it. Whereas if I publish directly to my blog, it’s tweeted for me, but I have no way to preview the post first.

2 Likes

This is aligned with our goals, yes! And I could see some ways this could be done – it might even help us differentiate between simply moving posts and moving drafts, as discussed on this thread: New Post Emails Not Being Sent to Email Subscribers - #8 by matt

Let’s continue the discussion here on a design / implementation. Did you have some ideas in mind already, @kuba-orlik?

From a design standpoint, I think it’d be best if all of the views (creating a draft, editing a draft, editing a post) had the same UI elements. Currently it’s like this:

can choose blog can choose date can choose slug
creating a draft yes no no
editing a draft no no no
editing a post yes yes yes

Bringing it up to having “yes” all across the board would be ideal in my opinion. The controls for that only appear when hovering on the top bar, so they wouldn’t be much of a distraction in my opinion

From implementation perspective - I don’t know much about go, but we’d have to know if the current situation is cased by some backend limitations, or is just a design decision? If it’s the latter then it seems we already have all the UI component needed, we’d just have to not hide them

Yes, and the ability to ‘publish via Email’ to a Draft status. Many times you have ideas for posts and want to quickly email the post to your blog but not have it published at that time…

What is the current workflow for writing and editing and sharing a draft post? Is it documented somewhere? I think I’ve seen it but can’t find it now…