I’m pleased to announce a new initiative on the WriteFreely repositories that I maintain: I will be holding “office hours” twice weekly to discuss the projects.
Which Projects, Specifically?
During office hours, we’ll sit together on a video call for 20 minutes or so to discuss these projects; my main goal is helping onboard new contributors. If you’re not sure what to tackle, have a look at the list of open issues across the projects.
Found something that’s not on that list? We can discuss that too!
Not even sure where to start? That’s also something we can chat about!
This is open to anyone, of course, but I’m especially interested in helping new iOS/Swift developers grow their skills.
This initiative officially kicks off in the first week of May 2021.
I’ll hold weekly office hours on Fridays, between 2:00PM and 5:00PM Eastern (6:00PM and 9:00PM GMT).
You can book a twenty-minute meeting with me via this Calendly link.
A few details:
- Everyone participating is expected adhere to the Code of Conduct for the related Swift project. That document is in the repository, so please review it before the meeting.
- You can book a meeting from two weeks ahead of time, up to the day before the meeting.
- We’ll conduct these meetings via Whereby.
- Booking a meeting requires your name, your email address, and a topic you’d like to discuss, to make sure we use our time together well!
The discussion topic doesn’t have to be long:
- “I would like to tackle issue A in the WriteFreely Swift package!”
- “Issue B in the WriteFreely SwiftUI project sounds interesting, but I’m not sure where to start!”
- “I noticed that when I do X in the iOS app, Y happens. I think it’s a bug and would like to fix it!”
These hours are subject to change based on my availability. In the rare occurrence that I have to reschedule, I will let you know as early as possible.
If you have any comments or questions about this, discuss them below!
Credit and inspiration for this initiative comes from Simon Willison’s office hours for Datasette.