Numbered lists/corrections

putting this under “Feedback/Bugs” because I am not sure what it is?

I made a post on write.as/tmo earlier, and I made it in some weird analogy form (how I would write out an analogy in my mind), and it included numbering things like this

1. word
  2. word
  3. word
  4. word

After I hit “Publish”, the 1,1,2,2 got changed to consecutive 1,2,3,4 format. Is that how it is supposed to be? I proofread and it was numbered 1-6 before, and after hitting publish, it went to 1-12. Simple autocorrect? I don’t use many other text editors so maybe this is a normal thing, idk.

Anyway, I thought I would point it out in case…idk, someone found it useful. Thanx.

Hey @tmo, that’s strange. So usual Markdown syntax makes consecutive numbered lists out of any numbers you make into a list, so you could do something like…

and that will change into…

You can try it out on the forum here, which does something similar. Does that makes sense? Could you also share this as an anonymous post to show the bug in action? I think I understand what you’re saying but it’d also be good to see for clarification.

1 Like

Right, so this forum did the same as the blog post - numbered it 1,2,3,4 instead of the 1,1,2,2 example I gave. I don’t know why other than this is a built-in autocorrect type of thing? I’m afraid I don’t know much about Markdown :confused:

It’s not a big deal, I’ll just remember to use dashes instead of numbers in the future. Thanks for the quick response CJ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure if I should add this here or in a new thread, but most markdown I’ve used (for instance sublime and iA writer) allows for

• I am top level
    ** I am second level

I see here and the write.as interpreter seems to only consider top level. Is this a HTML thing?

The other quirk of write.as (which is not an issue here interestingly), is in write.as you have to have a blank line between main text and a list.

• Whereas here you can just roll into it