Newb Question: Static Header with CSS

Hi writers,

I’m looking to create a static banner for my write.as blog. The same question was also asked here: Issues with header images.

I’m a total newb and I’m running a trial of the pro version. Maybe that’s why I’m not getting anything?

The OP mentions three codes. The first one;

@media only screen and (min-width: 800px) {
body#collection header {
padding-top: 2em;
text-align: center;
max-width: 100%;
margin: 0 0 0 0;
background-image: url(‘yourImage.jpg’);
height: 572px;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-size: cover;
}
}

When I enter this one, the blog just shifts a little bit, as if a picture was inserted there, but just shows a blank space.

With the second one, suggested by member Anx, my blog title just dissappears, and nothing else happens:

#blog-title a {
background-image: url(https://**YOUR IMAGE LINK**);
background-position: center;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
color: rgba(0,0,0,0);
display: inline-block;
width: 150px;
height: 150px;
background-size: 150px 150px;
}

With the third one, when I insert it, nothing actually happens on the blog:
body {
background-image: url(‘yourImage.jpg’);
background-position: center;
background-size: cover;
display: block;
background-repeat: no-repeat
}

Can anybody enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong? Do I need to find the code for the whole theme somewhere and insert it in the Custom CSS box? So far I have just tried to insert these bits of code in the Custom CSS box without any other code. I’d be much obliged if somebody can help this newb out :wink:

Cheers

I’ve solved this issue. For some reason it wasn’t working with imgur, it works with “postimages”.
So the issue wasn’t the code.

New challenge is that I’d like to have more space between the pinned posts and the front page posts, for example in Gab’s Notes: Gab's Notes — Themes, more space between “about me” + “how to subscribe” and the first post that shows on his page.

Any help welcome, I will continue to experiment as well.

If I’m understanding you correctly, it’s just a matter of adding a CSS rule that pushes the main content down. The simplest thing would probably be to add a bottom margin to the pinned posts section.