Long alt-text on an image is dropped

On the page at 2020 Surprise Swap Rabbet Plane and Spokeshave — davepolaschek I have two images of hand-written notes. In the source for the page, I included the full text of the notes as alt-text for the images (because that’s the right thing to do, I think). But they’re both fairly long, and when I view the source of the generated page, there is no alt-text on the images at all.

The alt-text on the first image is:

pages 1 and 2 of the handwritten note, text reads: “Brian, Happy swap! Enclosed find a rabbet plane made from ipe (sole), poplar (core), cherry (sides) and an alder wedge. I gave it a 45° bedding angle with a 30° skew. It should work reasonably well in most woods. The blade is O-1 steel. I got help from Dave Kelley on the heat treating. I’ve sharpened the blade, and it should be ready to go unless the post damaged it. Also included is a spokeshave with a Hock Tools O-1 blade. It is also made from ipe. You may want to touch up the blade, but it should also be ready to go. If you want a wider mouth, put a washer under each end of the blade. Hope you enjoy them. Finish on both is linseed oil, followed by wax. A little wax on the sole if they drag should make them good as new again.”

Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to get this fixed eventually.

From what I’ve seen, I think it might’ve actually been the different punctuation in this that caused it to be dropped. If I remember correctly, quotation marks and/or parentheses might cause the software to drop the alt text altogether – if you want to give it a try without those, for now.

Otherwise agreed, this should be fixed. I’ll change this to the #feedback:bugs category, so it’s on the list of issues to fix.

Thanks, Matt! I’ll try removing the quotation marks and see.

-DaveP

Removed both the double and single quotes, and the alt-text isn’t there in the source.

Also removed the parens, and the alt-text remains missing. If there’s something else I should try, just let me know. Thanks!