Local timeline?

Thinking of adding a way to enable a reading stream for WriteFreely instances (like Read Write.as) and I wanted to see what everyone thinks.

From the product side, I’d really like to keep this functionality separated into Read.as, and maybe make it particularly easy to integrate the two on a single instance. That way, you could also use the reading side to follow blogs from around the fediverse, bookmark posts (favorite them) and follow users, both on the associated WriteFreely instance and in the wider fediverse. Admins could also plug in any reader app they want as new ones are developed.

But these are just my ideas right now. As a user, do you want to be able to read other posts on your instance in some kind of stream?

2 Likes

Fediverse discussion:

Presuming, for the sake of, as WriteFreely instance admin I also had read.as functionality active. If a logged-in user found something on the read.as section that they wanted to write about, would this sort of interfunctionality exist, or would they simply copy a link and use it in a post?

Somewhat relatedly, is there any intent (or, even, desire) for a post author to link another federated user somewhere in the fediverse in away that acts as a notification to that user? So, like, if I did a link like

[recently Matt mentioned](@matt@writing.exchange)

it would appear as a notification in Matt’s mastodon account?

I don’t even know if we’d want that; I haven’t thought about it. Just randomly pondering things.

It is on the radar, no ETA just yet though.

tracked on phabricator: https://phabricator.write.as/T627