Introduce yourself & your blog šŸ™‚

My general rule is to just have fun, take it as it comes, and gently figure it out as you go (rather than upfront).

hello Jas! hello everyone! here is Jiang.
it is very nice to meet you all on the fediverse!

first, put a simple intruduce here.
amateur author/cosplayer/feminist and so on.

what I write
fanfics, scifics; food, movies or ACGs repo,
mainly using Chinese mandarin.

my link
at write freely
or at WordPress
p.s. : you may find the oldest one was dated in 2006. but that only shows when the article has been wrote, not when the blog (website) started.

some others
as for micro-blog, i use Mastodon and Misskey.

3 Likes

hey Jiang - nice to meet you & see all the stuff youā€™re up to, thanks for popping up :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello everyone,
my name is Fabio and I started to be in the fediverse ecosystem several years ago

during the first lockdown I decided to put some ideas about open source, creative commons and surveillance capitalism on a notepad and then, suddenly, I realized I was writing a bookā€¦

title: un luddista si dondolava sopra un filo di ragnatela
url : https://write.as/un-luddista/ 1
topics: observations about opensource, creative commons and surveillance capitalism
license: CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

unfortunately itā€™s only for italian readers butā€¦

enjoy, and please donā€™t hesitate to express your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy!

Cody here! Despite a gnawing feeling that Iā€™m breaking custom, rather than offering up some compulsory (albeit redundant, considering) introduction, Iā€™ll just let my blogā€™s info page do the heavy lifting.

https://tits.international

Cheers and enjoy!

1 Like

Suppose I should introduce myself. I have too many hobbies, but one Iā€™ve stuck with fora few years and gotten somewhat serious about is photography; namely for motorsport. However I wanted a casual outlet for non-motorsport stuff, sunsets and scenes that I like, so that stuff is shared and seen instead of sitting on my hard drive.

Iā€™ll probably write about linux, racecars, and random stuff as well no doubt. I haven;t written slightly longer form stuff since myspaceā€¦ and I enjoyed it. Hopefully I can pull somewhat entertaining content out of this thick skull like I used to.
Nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love the diversity already represented in this thread!

hello those who donā€™t know me - Iā€™m David Blue!

My main blog on write.as is entitled ā€œThe Psalmsā€ (which isā€¦ a dumb Bible joke and not meant to be actual malicious blasphemy or anything. itā€™s gotten very specific in the past 18 months or so, for better or worse.

I had the pleasure of chatting with former Community Manager (still resident & excellent blogger) CJ Eller about how discovering this platform and Markdown basically saved my life.
I was very proud to have my blogā€™s theme listed in the official themes directory though both the CSS and JS have changed a lot in the time since, so Iā€™d suggest you use those latter links if youā€™d like to try it.

As a former, jaded, self-described ā€œCMS nerd,ā€ I believe there is something very poignantly special about the whole Musing Studio suite and have become more invested than I couldā€™ve ever imagined in the wellbeing of these properties. That said, I would like to offer myself as a point of contact for support in two distinct aspects:

1. In the technical sense, I am not a certified web developer/designer in any sense, but Iā€™d like to think myself familiar enough with these platforms and how they interoperate to call myself an authority. If anything else, if I canā€™t help you with your problem, Iā€™ll know where to send you.
  2. As a ā€œsoldierā€ for the ā€œcause.ā€ If you or someone you know needs convincing regarding the .as suite as a product, and you find yourself without the time/energy, call me! Itā€™s in my self-interest to help it grow, and I canā€™t actually think of a better use of my time.

It might interest you to know that The Psalms is ā€œwritten in publicā€ via Git and this GitHub repository, which basically means that my entire process (including this very reply!) can be viewed/tracked in real time. Believe it or not, I did not know what Git was 18 months ago, and now I basically live on it.

So excited to see growth in the community! If youā€™d like to chat about any of the topics Iā€™ve covered - or about anything, basically - here are my contact details one last time:

3 Likes

Hi all, greetings from a Write.as freshman.

Iā€™m Paolo Amoroso and I live in Milan, Italy. My lifelong passion for the universe and space exploration eventually turned into a job and now I work in astronomy and space outreach and education. Trivia: I have an astronaut friend.

Here I blog at journal.paoloamoroso.com, a journal to complement my main blog with more frequent and less structured notes on my interestes and projects. I blog mostly about astronomy and space, Google products and technologies, and Python. But I write also about software development and computing, retrocomputing, self-publishing, blogging, and more.

4 Likes

hey @PaoloAmoroso, itā€™s nice to meet you and hear about what youā€™re currently up to :slight_smile: You might be interested in checking out @moonmehtaā€™s blog - Jatan is also passionate about space exploration :rocket:

1 Like

Hi Paolo, welcome to write.as! As @jas mentioned (thanks Jas!), I write about space too. I will be checking out your astronomy blog as well soon.

2 Likes

@jas @moonmehta Thanks for the warm welcome.

2 Likes

Good Morning!

My name is David and, originally, I started a blog: lifeofballs.blog to chronicle raising a child. (We do not have Facebook and wanted a bit more ā€œcontrolā€ of what was posted).

But, recent Wordpress changes are driving me up the wall at times and I was looking for alternatives. Reading @ldstephens blog, he mentioned write.as as an alternative and I decided to give it a whirl, purchasing the 5 year plan during the sale. I will admit, there are adjustments to learn, but willing to give it a shot.

I also purchased a custom domain and thanks to the help of @ahribellah was able to get it up and running with write.as

The link is dmball.net

Regards.

1 Like

Welcome @dmball from a freshly arrived Write.as user. I donā€™t use WordPress for my own blogs but Iā€™m curious what changes drove you to look for alternatives.

1 Like

Welcome David @dmball! Iā€™m glad you found my blog post helpful.

1 Like

@PaoloAmoroso Overall Wordpress is a great starting point for blogs and other materials. I like their service and still use it for the other blog, but here are a few things which come to mind:

• Their pricing can be higher. While you can get more features, some of them are overkill for even basic needs, especially if you want more pictures/video on your site.
  • I bought a custom domain from them and had some issues with it and when I inquired with support, they basically did not seem to understand the issue even when I followed up with to fix the issue. It is not a deal breaker, but a nuisance to deal with because of their configuration.
  • The new block editor is a love/hate relationship when composing a post. Some things seem ok, but it is basically all or nothing now in regards to using it. I usually compose my post in Ulysses or iA Writer and publish it. Then I have to go to the block editor and update it to current blocks even though the configuration is to accept markdown. Pictures do not always upload correctly and must be redone through the media library.
  • I just wanted a place to compose/upload a draft, edit if necessary and publish. Write.as, although could use some additional enhancements/tweaks, is close to that desire at this time.
  • Lastly, Wordpress, as of now, allows me control and ownership of my own data. But, I always wonder in the back of my mind if that concept can change at some point with them. From what I can see about Write.as, I do not have that concern as much right now.
2 Likes

I see, thanks. WordPress definitely feels overkill.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve just started with write.as and I really like the way it works (although Iā€™m still figuring that out).

I havenā€™t posted anything publicly yet but Iā€™ve experimented with Anonymous (as drafts) and Anonymous (as posts). Iā€™m a writer and I love the interface and the philosophy here. I came to this via Mastodon, where Iā€™m also a newby. Newby is actually my second middle name - old family thing :slight_smile:

I know I can write here - I journal, and I seem to be compelled to create rhyming verse.

But can I use a blog here, one of my three, as a promotional platform for my self-published books? Not as a pitch to the Write.As community but as a device on the wider web. It just feels such a comfortable place to work, but I donā€™t want to be banished from Write.As for shameless (or shameful) self-promotion. If a blog were to state its purpose openly as promotional, would that work?

I donā€™t even have much of a track record as a blogger, let alone as a marketer. Looking for a bit of guidance here because, you know ā€¦ Iā€™d like to stay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @johnarthurnichol, welcome to Write.As :slight_smile:

I believe @matt & Write.Asā€™s mission is to use the platform to ā€œwrite freelyā€.

It looks like youā€™re up to some interesting things. Feel free to keep on showing up and writing, anonymously or in public, as ā€œyouā€. :blush:

Hello @jas, and many thanks for the welcome. Iā€™ve actually started posting as me now. Getting brave :slight_smile: Always interested in Indie author stuff, so Iā€™ve subscribed to you at indiewriter.
Cheers,
John

1 Like

Hey @john, anytime. Thank you for subscribing - and happy writing! :slight_smile: