Internationalized domain names

Hi ! Does write.as support domain names with accented letters ? I configured one of my blogs to use the https://canopée.quebec domain name, but there seems to be a tls error.

Hi @mathuin, it does look like we need to change some things on our end to support these domain names. Right now, we don’t convert these domain names to their Punycode equivalent, which means validation fails when we’re making sure that a domain name belongs to a user, so we can generate an SSL certificate. I’m looking into a fix now.

Okay, your site is up and running now! You’ll just notice a funky version of the domain on your blog’s Customize page for now (technically, the Punycode version) – be sure to leave that as-is. Then we’ll have a permanent fix for international domains in place for you and everyone else shortly.

That permanent fix is live now! You should notice your domain displays correctly on your Customize page now.

I’ve also carried these improvements to WriteFreely, for anyone interested. They can be found here: PR#457.

Hey,

That permanent fix is live now! You should notice your domain displays
correctly on your Customize page now.
Thank you for the quick fix and the longer term one.

I’ve also carried these improvements to WriteFreely, for anyone
interested. They can be found here: PR#457 [2].
Great ! The main reason I chose write.as was the option to move to
WriteFreely if I felt the need, that and the activitypub integration.

Have a great day

hey @matt I was looking at the activitypub publications and it seems like the code behind the website name is used instead of the accented name. You can look up @fermier@canopée.quebec on mastodon to get an idea.

Hey @mathuin, can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing? Everything seems to be working for me when I follow the blog from Mastodon.

You can see in the right part of the screen, the toot has the coded name.

Yeah, behind the scenes (speaking from an ActivityPub perspective), we use the coded / ASCII name. I’m not sure if things would still work if we switch those URLs to the Unicode representation, or if this is something on Mastodon’s side, where they should be displaying the links better. But we might need to bring the issue up with them.

Thanks for the help, I ended up changing the domain name as I was getting problems with email on other services.