First character of every line moves to right of caret

Hello,

I’m considering moving my work from Medium to Write.as. The editor isn’t working for me because of a critical bug. Upon carriage return the first letter I type shifts to the right of the caret, making it the last character in what I’m typing. So “hello” becomes “elloh.”

I’ve tried to troubleshoot but can’t get it fixed. I tried typing slower, pausing before typing on a new line, and even disabling all add blockers for write.as.

I’m on the latest version of macOS (Sonoma 14.5) and I’m using the latest version of Brave (1.67.123).

Here’s a screencast of what I’m seeing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

1 Like

Hey, does this happen in any other browser besides Brave?

Otherwise, are you familiar with the browser’s Developer Tools? I can walk you through the steps if not. But if so, we can try opening up the Console to see if any errors are occurring.

Hey, Matt!

It doesn’t happen in other browsers. But Brave is my main browser, whereas the other five I use are for design/dev work. I’d like to be able to use Brave because it’s part of my daily workflow.

I do know how to use developer tools. Though I don’t know what I’d be looking for regarding this specific issue. So I’d love you to tell me what to look for.

Thanks!

I get this on load, but the console reveals nothing new while I’m typing.

Thanks! Was just curious if any errors were coming up in the console, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Definitely want to make sure this works in Brave. I’ll download it today and see if I can replicate the issue. But in the meantime, do you have any extensions installed that might be messing with the editor? For example, I think we had an issue with the Grammarly extension back in the day. Just want to be sure it’s nothing like that happening again.

I disabled all of my add blocker and privacy extensions for the Write.as domains. I could certainly try to disable them one-by-one to see if there’s a culprit in there. I’ll do that and report back.

1 Like

@matt you rule! There was an extension that was causing the issue. It’s called Instant Smart Quotes. I thought you should know because it may come up again. I really appreciate your help on this. Now I can finally get started testing the platform.

1 Like

Awesome!! Will definitely keep that in mind going forward – I’ll mark this as the solution so other people can find it too. Thanks for your help get to the bottom of it!

1 Like