Embed documents into Write.as?

Hello. Can I embed a document into my write.as web page? I see that Bit.ai provides a code for embedding responsive documents from its site onto a web page. I would like to do this with write.as. đź’»How do I embed a Bit document on my website or blog? | Bit Tech Labs, Inc. Help Center

I don’t think so. My experience has been that script tags inside of posts do not render into the compiled HTML, or are not passed through. The method you showed includes a script tag.

If you have Office365, that might be an option because you can share documents as Embeds that use an iframe tag. Follow the steps from Microsoft to create the embed. Then just make sure you’re using the markdown editor to paste the embed code provided to you.

It does work, but you may have to mess around with your custom CSS to get it to display properly.

Thank you berkough, for explaining that. Too bad. I’m not technical. I would try it.

When you say “inside of posts,” do you mean anything in the edit mode? I was hoping I could try it from the front page. But I’m guessing not.

Thank you, again. Gina

Yes, inside edit mode, but specifically using the Plain Editor and NOT the Rich Editor. I suppose I don’t understand exactly what it is that you want to do. When you say that you want “responsive documents” embedded, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to see what I did to try and solve your problem, you can see the final product here: Business Document Test — draft-posts.

This is what the code for the entire post looks like in the editor (except it won’t have syntax highlighting):

# Business Document Test

This is a paragraph of regular text, above me is the title of the post, below me is the business document embed.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=B16490F7F5D1A9DE%211293&amp;authkey=!AKcc6M6FrLKyK1U&amp;em=2" frameborder="0" width="640px" height="480px">This is an embedded <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com">Microsoft Office</a> document, powered by <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com/webapps">Office</a>.</iframe>

Everything inside the iframe tags I left alone, except for the width and height attributes.

The height and width attributes don’t actually pass through for some reason though, so you need to add “iframe” to your custom CSS like this:

iframe {
    width: 640px;
    height: 480px;
}

I chose 640 by 480 for the dimensions because that’s what fits the rest of the styling that I have on the page. I have not tested to see what it looks like on mobile.

Interesting, thank you berkough.

My hope was to embed a document to appear as the web page with all the text and visuals on a regular website. The reason I wanted to do this is because I love Write.as, but I keep wishing I could have more than one column on a page. And I’m not technical for coding something like that. I was thinking I could just embed the text, as in your example—and maybe make it wider.

I wonder if this makes any sense to you. Thank you for going to that trouble. It helps me visualize what that entails.

Thank you!

Gina

Gina, if I am understanding correctly, my suggestion might be for you to design what it is that you want inside of a word document or an art application and instead of trying to get that document to display on Write.as, send the document to someone who might be able to reproduce it using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript that you can then load into your Write.as account.

Best of luck!

berkough, thank you! I never would have thought of that. Do you think there could be any problems with Write.as by doing that? For me it sounds like a great solution. Thanks, again.
Gina

Do you think there could be any problems with Write.as by doing that?

I suppose that depends on how complicated or intricate your design is. The reason that I choose Write.as for my blog and webcomic is simply because I wanted a straightforward publishing platform that communicated with the fediverse. There are hundreds or thousands of other programs and web hosts who cater to other needs.

Thanks!