Email Setup

Mine is a Writefreely instance at https://abcro.cloud. As WF uses, thus far, Mailgun only I have a subscription there. My question is about config. I am not a developer but I do know my way around terminal and how to set up email if I can find it in the software. Being as this is my weakest point, understanding code that isn’t pre-written, how do I set up email in my instance? What do I enter to bring up the config .ini for email? Thanks for helping me, ACrowe

No worries, it’s pretty straightforward – just a few lines to add / change in your config.ini file! Here’s an example with the values you need to set:

[email]
domain          = your-domain.com
mailgun_private = key-...

Then, once you’ve filled these in, you’ll restart your WriteFreely server and it should all be set up. You can find a little more info about it in Configuration docs. But let me know if anything doesn’t make sense.

Matt . . . Thank you! A couple of things, I am an old man and on many of the forums I have tried I get rather a snub due to ignorance on my part. I understand an IT person being busy and preoccupied but I don’t find this here and I am grateful.

Down to it: what command should I use to get into the config on WriteFreely? These are questions I ask once and write down for the future. Again, thank you.

2 Likes

You have to edit the config.ini file in a text editor separately, save the changes, then restart writefreely for it to use the updated config.

config.ini should be in the same directory as writefreely itself.

Yep, just your command-line text editor (e.g. nano or vi) should be fine for editing the config! Did that answer everything, @Crow?

I am really just getting started with coding and servers and file systems. I have learned much but not the particulars of commands as well as I would like. If I were to enter into terminal: “nano config.ini” would that be all I needed? Once I know I get it done and don’t forget but the nuance escapes me at times. The command line in total would help immensely. Thank you. ACrowe