Creating a title index page?

I’d also like a better mobile layout. Here’s for example my blog’s archive page in Chrome on Android: the dates don’t line up. I realize space is limited but maybe the dates could be abbreviated on small screens (e.g. Aug 3).

Also, some dates are in my Italian locale (e.g. 30 luglio) and don’t match the post’s language. It would greatly help to have a blog-wide default language setting that applies also to metadata, not just the text of posts.

I forgot to set the post’s language. Which underscores the need for a blog-wide default language setting.

Back to the mobile layout of the archive page, another option may be to remove the months and days of the posts altogether on small screens.

:partying_face: :wave: :kissing:

• Are you okay with it living at the /archive/ URL, or would you like to customize the page slug? (Maybe you’d like to use index or “archive” in the same language as your blog.)

Would prefer using “index”

• Would you like to be able to customize the archive page itself, e.g. by setting your own title and text around it?

yes please, adding some markdown text above and/or below would be great

• Would you always want this link to live in your navigation bar?

Yes please!

• If so, are you okay with it saying “Archive”, or would you want to customize this?

I prefer “index”

• A drop down (or maybe a sidebar of links?)

Yes please

• prefer the archive page to match blog’s theme

Yes please

• better (mobile) layout. maybe the dates …

Could I suggest to start with the dates? So have the dates before the post title? Maybe have the date in ISO, like 10 JUN and 10 AUG?

• blog-wide default language setting

Yes please

Right now the list is limited to 40 titles with the “older” link somewhat lost at the bottom. If I could I’d set it at 80 or 100 posts, and have the “older” link more referenced.

I would add a selection of 5 or 6 # at the top.

And finally, I love it when javascript is not needed, so that people browsing without javascript still have a fab experience.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for this. I strongly prefer archive over index, which to me smacks very much of index.html and rankles the caveman HTML developer in me.

A different date format might be nice, as would some form of “by year” or “by month,” but I don’t feel strongly about any of that. I’ll probably keep using my own hacked-up-css version for now, mostly because I’m used to its quirks.