Change "publish" to "save draft" when destination is Drafts

the first time i saved drafts it was a bit spooky, since in order to do so you need to click the button labeled “publish”

i think that when “Drafts” is selected, the tooltip of the publish button should change to “Save Draft”, and the icon should change to a floppy disk.

This has been a known quirk for a long time. You get used to it. :sweat_smile:

But agree, it should change.

I mostly agree with both of you. My OCD is gonna make sure I never get used to this, but it does get easier the more you do it.

However, I don’t know that changing the button label is the right move. Specifically because you actually are publishing what you save to anonymous. Technically it doesn’t appear in any lists or on read.as. But it also isn’t protected in the way a draft typically is in a publishing system. The URL is public and it unrestricted to search engine crawlers.

If you publish an anonymous post and leave it there for a while, it will get indexed by search engines. Especially Google, which is fast and ruthless. That makes it technically public and “published.”

My vote is for having a true drafts state, whereby the only way to see the post is behind your own authentication.

1 Like

Write.as really need a true draft feature, which fully renders a post as per the blog theme.

I actually mixed things a bit, I meant a post preview.

Yep, I absolutely want to build real drafts into Write.as. I’ve started work on this already, but there are several complications that have slowed down development. Here’s where we’re tracking that: ⚓ T911 Support draft posts.

Anonymous posts on Write.as (called “Drafts” on WriteFreely, but functionally the same) are a left over from the early platform that we’ve really outgrown and had to hack onto. So I think once we build real drafts, we’ll address these UI issues too.

Post previews would be a part of this too.

2 Likes