Casual Phase-out, and What's Next

4 Likes

Understandable. Thanks for your continued dedication to building a stable, useful, and open platform. Looking forward to the future of write.as and WriteFreely!

4 Likes

Allow me to be the first to give you a much needed roasting for this decision. You cost me $22 in a subscription and domain that I won’t get more than a year out of at the current rate.

P.S. You may also need to read this my friend.

1 Like

I appreciate the thorough roasting!

In all seriousness, I wrote this to give everyone ample warning and get their input – so I do appreciate it, and we’ll consider it alongside everyone else’s. But to reiterate the key points of the post:

• As early adopters, all Casual subscribers are grandfathered in. Your Casual subscription and its rate will stay the same indefinitely, unless you cancel or switch to Pro. So your money isn’t wasted; you’ll continue paying only $12 each year, simply because you discovered us early in our history.

• Write.as runs on free and open source software, called WriteFreely. Anyone can run this software themselves and get a near identical experience as on Write.as – and indeed that’s what we want to encourage more of.

In my humble opinion, this is a pretty fair change that doesn’t take anything away from existing users, while helping us meet our imperative to grow and last long into the future. But again, we remain open to everyone’s input. Thanks again for yours.

4 Likes

My feedback is that I agree with comments by quiethabits. The only thing I’d add to what he said is that I also appreciate the attention to privacy that is built into write.as.

3 Likes

It seems like this is a good time to pay for the casual.

6 usd/month is overcharging for write.as service as in its current state.

@stoic.ass whoa that’s a real good roast. Thanks for pushing Svbtle to my attention.

1 Like

Hi Matt,
I tried to reach you about the casual plan via e-mail from the contact page unsuccessfully.
There is no mention about the casual plan phase out on the write.as blog.

I then found this post and I’m sorry to see there is no way to subscribe it anymore.
Like @GhostWriter said, in my opinion 9$/month or 72$/year is too much for a single person that just want to write a single blog. To put it in prospective, I pay 39$ for an entire web hosting on namecheap.

I’m not sure why drop the casual plan, it seems to me it was targeted to a different set of users than the Pro ones.
I would gladly pay for your service for a single blog, but the price of the Pro offer is too high.

I hope you’ll reconsider offering a basic/casual plan in the future, thank you.

1 Like