Blog update/post is visible on write.as, but it doesn't update in custom subdomain

I’m testing moving a blog from the usual direction (write.as/[username]) to a custom domain. I managed to get the subdomain to point to the blog successfully following the provided guides.

Thing is, I’ve been updating the blog for about half an hour now. All updates appear immediately in write.as/[username], but non have showed-up in the custom domain blog, yet.

Is this an issue with caching? Did I set up something incorrectly? It’s a bit of an annoyance, I’d like for me to be able to press “Publish” and my readers to see the new post immediately.

Weird. Today I posted and it updated immediately in the custom domain too. I don’t know, really. I guess it’s fixed? No idea why that happened yesterday

There is some caching involved for logged-out users on both write.as/* and *.writeas.com domains, and custom domains. But while you’re logged in as an author, you’ll always see the most up-to-date version on write.as/*. This helps us balance performance (fast page loads for readers) and a functional application for writers.

Caching works like this: the first time a post is loaded, it gets saved in cache for a relatively short period of time. For the duration of that cache period, readers will see that saved version, so any changes to a post won’t be reflected. But when that period expires, as soon as someone loads that page again, it will be saved in the cache and the process repeats. This is why the update probably showed up immediately on the custom domain after you checked it later – the site probably didn’t have any recent visitors, so the most recent page was loaded immediately.

I hope that makes sense. If you continually notice these issues, please let me know and we can consider adjusting our caching system. It should be relatively short and affect few people, but it is a constant balance to find out what works best.

1 Like

Thanks, I really appreciate the explanation. Makes sense to me. i’ll keep that in mind and be sure to let you know if it ends up being too much of a nuisance, but right now I’m pretty sure it won’t be a problem.