Write.as/WriteFreely Community Discord!

Hello, Community!

I’m here to pull the trigger on the Discord server I’ve wanted to create with you for just about as long as I’ve been around. This project means a lot to me and I’d like to contribute in a substantial way.

I also know that I’m almost certainly going to need help doing so, so the primary purpose of this first post is to ask that anyone interested in moderating/administrating/otherwise contributing please contact me here, via Email, or even by phone if you’d like: +1 (573) 823-4380.

My apologies if you came to this post looking for an invite… It shouldn’t be very long at all (as in, two weeks at most.) In establishing this buffer period, I am working to avoid the common mistake (which I have made) of distributing invites to a space which is still being configured.

If you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about, Discord themselves have published a handy landing page about their platform as a collaborative space for open source communities.

If you’re familiar with Slack, I wrote a brief explanation of why I chose to use Discord in its place for my little media company.

For the record, I want to do this with as close to zero labor required from the team as possible. I intend to contribute as much or as little as the community decides I should.

(Also, I did run this by Matt today, if you were wondering.)

I hope to hear from you soon! Thank you!

3 Likes

Invites

Well folks, that didn’t work hehe. I’m going to go ahead and open the server to invites.

@DavidBlue , I apologize, but I am unclear: what is there that isn’t here?

With abandon,
Patrick

1 Like

Please don’t apologize! I actually can’t think of a better question to ask.

I suppose the fundamental difference between these forums and a Discord server is a sense of real time, if that makes sense. Ultimately, it’s a chatroom where people can just be.

I’m not sure if it’ll help but I can tell you my personal motivation for launching a WriteFreely community Discord server centers around a desire to be in a live space with other users. Exploring the rationale of that desire is a bit too existential of a task, but I hope that makes sense.

Thank you, @DavidBlue. It funny, because I like this for it’s not being real time, so it’s more akin to analog letter writing. Grin. Enjoy!

With abandon,
Patrick

1 Like

Thanks! This is exactly what i have been searching fopr. Thank god someone made a discord server where i can discuss my problems openly without having to post on this discuss page. The closest thing to this discord server i had was from discordserverlists but im so glad someone finally made a discord for writefreely.

1 Like

Karen,

I appreciate your excitement, but unfortunately I’ve more or less abandoned the Discord due to lack of activity. I was about to try a Telegram group instead. (My arguments for Telegram over Discord can be found here if you’re willing.) Let me know what you think.