Share what you are working on and using!

@cjeller1592 the first part of the solution is here now - https://github.com/jonbeckett/wp2md - I’ll try and get to the second part (that uploads the markdown files to write.as) later this evening.

2 Likes

@cjeller1592 just uploaded the second part - https://github.com/jonbeckett/md2write.as - beware that the code was really only written for my own purposes. You may need to modify it quite heavily to do what you want.

4 Likes

Hey @jonbeckett, I tried using the wp2md script and ran into an error. I made an issue on your repo here. Looking forward to getting it to work!

Trying something new as an alternative to comments. It requires that you have an extra Write.as blog handy.

All you do is have people send a comment to the email given in the Customize menu for your extra blog (ex: myinbox-u1mrfsp2cebvlqwdfg22jlshod4w@writeas.com). That way their comment appears as a post on the blog. It acts as your inbox of sorts. You can delete posts as needed and even copy post content over to your blog if you want to respond to something the wrote.

Creates a cleaner user experience by decoupling the writing experience on your blog from the comment management experience on your comments blog.

Huh. Wish I could do that on a hosted WF.

You might be able to do that on WF @bix. Unfortunately I am not as acquainted with WriteFreely. Perhaps @matt or @robjloranger could help!

Nah. There’s no post-by-email in WriteFreely, so…

Been playing around with Beaker Browser, a browser that lets you play around with peer to peer web stuff through a protocol called Dat. It renders Markdown in the browser quite nicely so that got me thinking.

I created a script to export your Write.as blog to a neat looking Markdown blog that is powered by Dat through Beaker. Think of it as another way people can access your blog while at the same time creating downloadable backups! Check out the script here.

4 Likes

Read write.as has so many posts that it is hard to wade through them by pages and tags alone. I’ve been fiddling around with giving Read write.as some search functionality. Here is a test app and the code under the hood here.

2 Likes

I just want to say I’m in awe of you folks, especially with the scripts and coding!

I love the editor comments idea.

@cjeller1592, I read your recent post about uncovering the commenting system from another users blog. I’m sure many would be fascinated to know how to do this? Is that something you would be willing to explain?

Of course @digitalgyoza!

The blog utilizes software called Utterances. It cleverly uses Github issues as the backend to host a lightweight Markdown based commenting system. Here is an example of Utterances in action from that blog.

I included how Robert Xu, the owner of the blog, puts it in his Custom Javascript on Write.as on this list here. As you will see, this is part of a bigger project to make the Custom Javascript and CSS on Write.as blogs more transparent for everyone. So please feel free to contribute your own blog or others to the list!

And thanks for your kind words! I am in awe of anyone who takes on writing a novel!. Hope to hear more about [D]rifter soon!

3 Likes

OK, so quite a bit of the Utterances site went over my head I think(!), but am I right to assume that anyone wishing to leave a comment must be a Github user? IE sign in with a Github account?

Yeah @digitalgyoza , it looks like you have to log in with a Github account to comment - a barrier that might be a deal breaker for most.

Comparatively, Write.as allows you to post without an account.

So perhaps there could be a way to set up a commenting system that would allow people to use an anonymous Write.as post as their comment. That post’s id could then be passed through a form which sends the post over to a person’s “comment” blog.

Tag management can be tricky, especially when you are constantly adding new ones to the mix.

I created an app that writes to a post with the tags in your collection. It automatically updates as you add tags. No need to constantly go back and add tags to the post. Check out the code and learn how to deploy it here.

4 Likes

Is that demo supposed to load something, or no?

Nope! The app is purely for updating a post and redirecting the post’s url. But I should put some placeholder in the main route though. Thanks @bix!

I posted about this previously, but I put together some JavaScript to allow footnotes in write.as posts.

My current project is a script for QOwnNotes to allow posting directly from there to write.as.

1 Like

Thanks @CountFenring! As someone who loves to use marginal and footnotes, this adds some much needed flexibility to the Write.as experience.

And please let us know when you get that QOwnNotes script up and running.

To allow another way for people to engage with my writing, I have decided to make highlights and annotations native on my blog through Hypothesis! Check out an example of it in action here.

If you want to use it in your blog, all it requires are some lines of code to your Custom JavaScript (feel free to mess with the custom branding to fit your blog):

// src: https://hypothes.is/embed.js

window.hypothesisConfig = function () {
  return {
    "openSidebar": false, 
    "theme": "clean",
    branding: {
      appBackgroundColor: 'white',
      ctaBackgroundColor: 'rgba(3, 11, 16, 1)',
      ctaTextColor: '#eee',
      selectionFontFamily: 'helvetica, arial, sans serif'
    }
  };
};

5 Likes

I just read your post on this. I had never heard of Hypothesis, but this is awesome! Infinitely better than a confusing “like”. Thank you so much for sharing this!