Footnote

Hi to everyone! This is my first post in this blog. I would like to know if there is a way to add footnotes to the article. I tried with both Markdown and HTML syntax, but they don’t work at all.

I also don’t know the address of the RSS feed of my blog (maybe this is a stupid question), and if you are programming to add an email alert for subscribers in case of new posts (like other platform as wordpress, etc.)

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Hey, welcome!

For your questions: what did you try when you were looking to add footnotes?

As for the RSS feed, you can find that by adding /feed/ to your blog URL, e.g. https://write.as/matt/feed/ or https://blog.writefreely.org/feed/. But most feed readers will automatically detect it if you give them your plain blog URL, because we include this information in your blog’s metadata.

And we do have email subscriptions planned (see it on our roadmap).

Thank you for your answer!!

I tried both these ways in a markdown document:

This is main body of my content. I have a footnote link for this line [^1]
[^1]: Here is my footnote.

and:

This is main body of my content. I have a footnote link for this line <a href="#footnote-1">[1]</a>
<p id="footnote-1">[1] Here is my footnote.</p>

But unfortunately, with no results.

1 Like

Footnotes are part of Extended Markdown.

It would be interesting to see support for them in a blog engine. I’m not sure how many people would use that feature, though…

4 Likes

I tend to use footnotes a lot. I would love to see support for it :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Yes, support for footnotes could be realy nice

3 Likes

I came here looking to see if it’s possible, and footnotes are definitely something I’d use.

4 Likes

It’s possible we’ll support them in the future. We’ve disabled them for now, because they break if you include footnotes and use the Excerpt / “Read more” feature in any given post.

If anyone is interested in working on a fix, that’s always welcome! Right now we simply truncate the post and render the markdown on the initial excerpt. To fix this, we’ll need to render the markdown based on the entire post, truncate it at the <!--more--> tag, and make sure the footnotes option in the writeas/saturday library is enabled.

4 Likes

Not having looked at the codebase, I could be way off base here. But if I’m understanding correctly, wouldn’t it be possible to just ignore any footnotes that appear in that initial pass, and then format them when the full page is rendered?

1 Like

Hi all,

I have been recently playing around with using margin notes instead of footnotes. It uses all CSS and a little HTML. An example of it in use is here. Definitely looks funky on phones and when viewing from the blog home page. Maybe an alternative until extended Markdown comes in?

3 Likes

I’ve put together some Javascript that lets you do this, at least on blog posts themselves (they won’t render on the main page, though).

See my post for the code!

2 Likes

I forgot to add: I really like your margin notes setup. Do you know if that CSS works properly on write.as as opposed to a WriteFreely instance?

I wanted to reply to you directly (in case the notification doesn’t show), but I’ve written a script that will allow footnotes.

I am glad you like it @CountFenring! The CSS will work properly. My blog is actually on Write.as but I think the Custom CSS should work just fine on a WriteFreely instance also. Hope that clarifies things.

It does, thanks. Did you have to use JavaScript to apply the <span> tags or is there a way to have Write.as do it?

All I did was put the tags into editor when drafting a post. Thankfully I don’t use too many margin notes or it would be an eyesore to edit.

Having the JavaScript apply the tags, like you did with your footnotes, is a good idea though. I will have to try that out soon!

It can be a good alternative, depending.

But your answer is interesting, as I didn’t think write.as would accept any HTML in a post without escaping it.

In HTML you can use (hr)tag and then use (sup) tag . Inside (sup) You can add your content.

Once try superscript element of html as .