Create 2 columns on a page?

I’ve asked this question in the past, but since it’s been a while I’ll ask—are there any plans for Write.as to add 2-column pages to Themes? Sorry if I’m being redundant. Just thought I’d see!

I have a need in spots for a “one column with a sidebar” in a few spots, plus I bought Eric Meyer’s Big Book of CSS recently… but if someone were to hand me a debugged style sheet, I’d sure be happy to use it.

1 Like

davepolaschek, that’s kind of what I meant. A sidebar of some kind. I keep trying to force myself to confront CSS. I can’t even make my way to Mastadon. : )

Well, if I come up with something, I’ll post here, but it’s not the top of my list, so it may be a while. Mostly I mentioned it so that if someone else sees this, they’ll know there are two of us interested…

1 Like

davepolaschek, well thanks!

1 Like

It’s not a real two-column layout, but I managed to get the pinned posts in a sidebar on the left in the LM jargon File. If that’s interesting to you, the CSS to make it happen was fairly simple and I spelled it out (though not the final version) in the reordering pinned posts thread.

1 Like

davepolaschek, your timing is impeccable. Thank you! I assume i could make the column on the right and wider? Thank you, again.

You’re welcome. You should be able to, though I’m not certain of the incantation to chant to the CSS gods without some trial and error. In. Y current implementation, I have problems with the main content wanting to get in the space where I put the left column, so you may need additional chants to appease the gods.

Uh-oh. I hadn’t considered the code yet. But I think you are saying you have given me a starting point, is that right? Thanks!

Yeah, I think it’s a starting point, but you’ll probably need something else to make it a complete solution.

Okay. Since I’m not the person to figure it out, do you have any suggestions for where I could? It seems like your solution is close.

I’m not sure. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of active theme development, and I’m probably not going to dig in more deeply than I need to in order to get my sites functioning the way I’d like them to look. Sorry.

That’s fine. I appreciate what you did a lot. Maybe I’ll ask AI. Thanks, so much, again.

1 Like