A broad subject (for frequent W.a users)

Hey, hello. I do not work for W.a, but I saw a post by Matt about a possible W.a v.2, and I wrote a quick blog post about it, but want to know what other W.a users want on/with the service? I was going to make this a d.w.a post about having a notification tray (which I think was mentioned here before), but then thought that people can/should just “idea dump” their best ideas in this thread in terms of future (hypothetical) features :slight_smile:

So, I think these would be really good:

• a notification tray (that doesn’t involve going into “stats”) that doesn’t have PUSH notifications, per se, but just there for when you wanna hover over them/it and see new e-mail subscribers, or maybe Mastodon followers, or comments

• and speaking of comments, I def wanna see Remark.as come about. It would be cool. But I am patient

• built-in photo uploader. So instead of going to snap.as, copy/pasting a S.a URL into W.a editor, just being able to “add photo” at the top (of a W.a post) would be a nice feature

That’s all I have for now. Anyone else have good ideas?

3 Likes

My only suggestion is (in the dashboard/settings area) I would like to be able to scroll through a list of blog post titles so I can hit an edit/move/delete button on them without scrolling through full posts on my main page.

3 Likes

Similarly, but perhaps more widely useful, some way to see just titles for posts. Not just for all posts, but for any subset I can currently display, such as “all posts tagged with ‘photography’” perhaps by appending /titles/ to a URL like https://write.as/davepolaschek/tag:photography

3 Likes

If a version 2.0 is going to be considered for the Blog format, these would be my top requests in no specific order:

• Built-in comments – I feel like once you give users this feature, then the community will start to grow even more. Yes, we did the comments thing on the read.write.as feed, but really, that’s not ideal. Give readers an easier way to comment and they will. I currently use Hyvor Talk on my journal, but really it’s because I got lucky with the Free Plan and got tired of waiting for Remark.as to be ready.

• A customizable static home page – Having an option to direct users to specific posts when they arrive on my site would be great. This would allow me to curate posts and showcase them to readers, instead of just the default view of whatever was the latest published post.

• Support for Categories – Write.as has great support for Tags, but not Categories. Micro.blog has great support for Categories but not Tags. WordPress has both Categories and Tags, but I don’t like the bloat that it comes with. Can I have a platform that supports both but is not WordPress? :slight_smile: I just really want Write.as to have support for Categories. In fact, I’ve wanted this feature since Day One of using Write.as. I’ve worked around it by creating a standard for how I title my posts, but really, support for Categories would be awesome. If the Write.as Markdown editor and blazing performance wasn’t that good, I would probably be using WordPress right now.

Lastly, looking back at what I wrote, maybe that’s too much changes for Write.as. Maybe you guys should create a new product, Blog.as.

4 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s feedback here! I just wanted to chime in on this, as we’re finally making progress on some of the items here:

As you might know, comments via Remark.as is planned for later this year.

You might’ve seen this, but we added support for this in the Rich Text / Classic editor: Now our Classic Editor supports photo uploads directly in the editor itself! To... — What's New on Write.as

I’m working on this exact thing right now: Continue yesterday’s work, internal support for categories is finished. — Micro Matt. This won’t be supported in the UI just yet, but it will build on top of our existing tag system, and should hopefully satisfy what you’re looking for – without the bloat :slightly_smiling_face:

As far as what else is planned…

This is planned for the near future: ⚓ T810 Blog post management section – and it will support changes needed for this:

…which is planned here: ⚓ T812 Support user-generated blog index templates

5 Likes

Looking forward to the updates.

this is what I am looking forward to the most. My only added request would be a S.a uploader that is like…floating. Or even a “floating editor” (e.g. highlight text and an editor drops down vertically). I got the inspiration from right here on D.w.a just now, when I highlighted the quote above, and a “floating” (as I am calling it) option came up to “Quote”. Doing this and then having a (pre-connected) S.a gallery would be nice :slight_smile:

Anyway, sounds like good progress is being made! Awesome!

I know it’s already been brought up in this thread and appears to have moved back into next-up projects on Phabricator (which I only understand to a limited degree,) but I would particularly benefit from the ability to customize the number of posts on one’s home feed.

due to no one’s fault but my own, my own home page has definitely transitioned this year from Comically Huge to Problematically Huge. I know I’m already pushing WF into the weeds in terms of word length/embed size and its original design, so obviously this is understandable. but dang it would be handy…

For my 2cents…

• I would like to be able to cross-post to Mastodon along with twitter and tumbler.
  • If we upload to our blog with classic editor, have the photo automatically upload to snap.as also.
  • An easy way to add social links in header or footer would be cool, but that’s not super necessary.
  • the ability for an automated backup to Github maybe could be cool also.

Cheers!

1 Like